01. For every Bollywood fan, DDLJ is the most perfect example of a love-story. It is obvious that every Bollywood junkie wants to be a part of the ultimate romantic fantasy - Dilwale Dulhania Le Jayenge. Just like the tagline of the movie goes, 'Come Fall in Love', the movie indeed made many fans want to fall in love. The protagonists Raj and Simran have redefined the meaning of romance in an absolutely dreamy manner. The film has been running in Mumbai's Maratha Mandir theatre ever since its release and is about to complete 1000 weeks there. Here's a list of reasons why DDLJ is a one-of-its-kind film.
02. Dialogues of the film: One of the most memorable things from this iconic love story is it's dialogues. The way Shah Rukh aka Raj has enacted the scenes and delivered dialogues that are still afresh in the minds of the audiences. Even today the epic lines like 'Palat…Palat,' 'Bade Bade Deshon Mein Aisi Choti Choti Baatein Hoti Rehti Hai…Senorita,' 'Nahi Simran… main nahi aaunga tumhari shaadi pe' are used by Bollywood fans in casual conversations.
03. Raj, the most romantic hero: A guy playing soccer in the rain, playing the mandolin, looking into your eyes mesmerized... Did your heart just blossom with love right now? Isn’t he the kind of a guy you want to fall for? Isn’t he your perfect man? Yes, that is Raj for you - every girl’s dream lover. After this, Shah Rukh's character Raj became a cult figure and young girls started dreaming for a life partner like Raj from DDLJ. Even today, fans are in awe of this character.
04. Scenic beauty: It all started with meeting on a trip to Europe, falling in love and parting ways at the London railway station. Raj and Simran realised the depth of their love only when they parted. Simran runs towards the fields to find the love of her life where Raj was playing his signature tune on the mandolin. The two reunite in the mustard fields of Punjab and sing the iconic song, ‘Tujhe dekha toh yeh jana sanam, pyaar hota hai dewaana sanam.’ People immediately fell in love with his love story.
05. Craze for Raj and Simran: After watching DDLJ, every couple could relate to Raj and Simran. Every single man set out on a search for his Simran and every girl wanted to find her Raj. Even today, after so many years, the masses identify with the movie’s lead characters. The characters became very popular with the audience that shot up the careers of both Shah Rukh Khan and Kajol. Not only this after DDLJ, Shah Rukh-Kajol became one of the most loved jodi of Indian Cinema.
06. Over-seas business: The movie worked wonders with the Indians settled abroad. The feeling of being away from home connected just right with the desi audience who live far away from their home country. DDLJ has kept the essence of being an Indian, alive. The film introduced the character of a non-resident Indian in Hindi cinema. Filmed in the UK, Switzerland and India, the film was declared as an all-time blockbuster.
07. Love: Simran is a simple girl with strong family values and Raj, on the other hand, is a fun loving, cheerful and full of life character. ‘Love’ was the only common factor that kept these two completely different people, together. After the release of the film, DDLJreceived positive reviews from critics worldwide and became the second highest grossing Bollywood film of the '90s after Salman Khan's Hum Aapke Hai Koun.
08. Music: The beauty of all the melodious compositions is the fact that they are timeless. Songs like ‘Mere khwabon mein,’ ‘Mehndi laga ke,’ and ‘Tujhe dekha toh’ are still the most often played songs at Indian weddings. The film's music continues to cast a spell even after almost 20 years of its release. Lyricist Anand Bakshi won a Filmfare Award for the song 'Tujhe dekha toh.'
09. Aditya Chopra’s debut film: He put his heart and soul to make this movie an all-time favorite. The director wanted to depict a love so true that it would survive despite all odds. Even after 20 years, the story of the film continues to connect with the audience - old and new.
10. Instant hit: DDLJ was an instant hit then and has successfully made it to the list of evergreen films. This movie had the ultimate climax where the Dilwala Raj actually takes his Dulhania Simran away with him. Every Bollywood fanatic must have at least watchedDDLJ more than a dozen times already. It was also the second film to surpass the 100-crore mark worldwide. In 1996, DDLJ won 10 Filmfare Awards including four major awards in the Best Movie, Best Director, Best Actor and Best Actress categories. On the occasion of the completion of 1000 weeks of the film's release, we congratulate the cast and crew of the film.
Blog Courtesy - TimesofIndia.com